Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bathroom Reno's

Putting a bathroom back together is much harder than tearing it apart. Let's just say there were a few nervous break down tears. My beautiful large tub. It is 38" wide in the middle. Well not exactly 38". I made the discouvering that the measurements on the box is not necessarily completely true. The tub is 24" deep, but that means from the bottom of the tub to the top of the tile flange and not how deep the tub actually is. The tub was actually very tricky to get into place because it is wider and deeper than the previous tub. The trick is to roll the tub into place.

These are my sinks and counter in the linen closet. It was soooo heavy that we had to get the movers to carry it upstairs.

This is my dad and the dog zack in the chaos called the living room.
More chaos in the dining room.
Me installing the denssheild behind the tub. It's better than concrete board. It's lighter and easier to cut and install and more water tight. Even if water gets behind the tile, the denssheild never rots.
My dad contemplating how to get the 60 and 1/8" vanity into the hole that goes from 60 and 1/4" to 59 and 3/4". We ultimately decided only to put the drywall above the vanity on one side to give the extra bit of room we needed.

Zack supervising the work.
The vanity in place. It actually went in pretty smoothly.

The counter and sinks is never coming out without a sledge hammer. Besides being incredibly heavy, it is wedged in.

Me tiling and yes I'm wearing a shower cap. I didn't want to mess up my hair.
I started off putting the morter on the walls, but found that it was alot easier to back butter the tiles and then place them on the wall. I'm glad I went with large tiles. It was so much work. This was one of my nervous break down days. I was a basket case by the end of the day and I still wasn't done.

Me putting the last tile in place. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
The shower done!
My friend Laura teaching me how to grout.

More grouting.
The beginnings of the cork floor. The key is to make paper templates for the curve around the tub. This part actually went in very easily.
The hard part was putting in the last row. When I bought it, they failed to mention that I needed a pull bar to click in the last row against the wall. I ended up going to 5 different hardware stores looking for one, because every where was sold out.

My done tub and walls. I was painted the one Saturday night till 11:30, so I could have a shower the next day for church. This was another one of my nervous breakdown days. I just really wished I had some moral support. I love my shower, but I'm not sure I ever want to do renovation again.

My mostly finished sinks. I still need to caulk along the tiles.
My new light fixture.
New towel racks. I still have a bunch of finishing to do like base boards and trim etc... The fan is a serious problem, because it has to be install from the attic. For now I'm just keeping the window open.
Right now I just feel like renovating and moving at the same time is just a bad idea. I might feel differently a couple of months from now, but I'm writing it down so I remember, so I never do this to myself again.

7 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Love your renos Charlotte! I am so completely jealous of your tub, looks fab! Sorry it was so stressful, but let Calgon take you away!

Charie and Jonathan Francom said...

You did a GREAT job! I love the colors of your little tiles too. I could look at home improvement pictures all day. Keep them coming!

Janine said...

Everything looks marvelous! I am sure the pain will fade, and you will just love the new, fashionable bathroom. I love your little blue tiles trimming everything.

kk Leilani said...

amazing! It looks amazing. I hope you will be able to enjoy your work because it really is amazing. I am excited to see the next project...wow I mean when you are ready of course. love this post. Incredible work. I've worked on some homes myself...you know family members...grouting tile and other things brings back many memories of hard work. Enjoy -you deserve it.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Sister King-YOU ROCK!!! i cannot believe you did it all by yourself!! HOLY COW!!! Wanna come do another one? ha ha ha it loos so much more modern and nice-ME LIKE!!!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

btw- I LOVE seeing shots of you cutey dad and the shower cap is a classic!!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Sorry I need blogger spellcheck BAD!