Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Canadian / Honourary American Perspective

As many of my friends are disappointed in the results on the US Presidential election, I thought I would write my perspective on the election as a Canadian and someone who loves the United States as her second home.

Over the last 8 years, Bush has systematically undermined the relationship between the United States and Canada. I will give you some of the "lowlights". This list is by no means complete. It started with failing to know who the name of the Prime Minister of Canada when he was elected. This may not seem like a big deal, but we are next door neighbours and the largest trading partner of the US. Then he failed to recognize the contribution that Canada made in assisting the US with relief during the September 11th terrorist attack. This after we were the first country to arrive, plus taking all the diverted planes and their passengers in like family. Then there is the ongoing tension about the contribution Canada is making to the mission in Afghanistan. In 2004, the Ambassador to Canada from the US actually interfered in our federal election. He stated that we needed to vote for a government that would be more sympathetic to the Bush administration. This sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable. The homeland security act has given the US government the power to arrest Canadian citizens without cause. The official position is that the US Constitution doesn't apply to non-citizens. This is how the government has justified the torture and terror they have inflicted. And sadly this has happen to at least two people. I think this is one of the things that upsets me most. I believe that the US Constitution is the most inspired document besides the scriptures. It pains me to think that the President of the United States believes that your place of birth determines whether you have the blessings and protections of the US Constitution. This is not my definition of justice.

As you can imagine the resentment that has been building up among Canadians towards Americans is very high now. My heart breaks every time I hear a derogatory comment about "Americans". Bush and his administration is not representative of the people that I love and served and lived among. The people I know are kind, generous, tolerant of others beliefs without compromising their values and fierce defenders of all that is right and good. For good or evil, the republicans are equal to Bush in the minds of Canadians. In order to start rebuilding the great relationship that our countries used to have, we needed to have someone that wasn't a republican to open that dialogue. Just like the US needs another Lincoln to rebuild the trust between republicans and democrats, the world needs a Lincoln to rebuild the world's perception of the United States. I believe that Obama and Biden are the ones that can start that healing.

I hope and pray that the United States will realize that despite the economic downturn and the troubles that they are experiencing that they are the most blest people in the world and with that comes the responsibility to put aside differences and be the world leader in compromise and unity. They've done it before and I'm convinced it can happen again.

I have great hope for what the future holds.

1 comment:

kk Leilani said...

I loved reading your perspective. Thank you for sharing it so lovingly with all. I must concur in many respects. As I was reading this I seem to remember Socwell telling me that you were inspired to share some of your thoughts on the Declaration of Independence with an investigator...and somehow it has me thinking that it was with Giovanna and Ken...remember them. You are a wondrous babe. Hope you are well.