Saturday, June 21, 2008

There are strange things are done in the midnight sun

For those that aren't up on their Canadian poetry. This is a reference from the poem "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service. I jumb at the chance to present at a meeting on Thursday up in Whitehorse Yukon. I arrived at 11:30pm and it was still bright out. You could still read a book by the light and not strain your eyes. My first truly Yukon experience was getting from the airport to my hotel. I walked out of the airport and look for a cab. I couldn't find one, but saw this beat up limo with a smashed up windshied with a burly, rotund guy with a long white ponytail and a big bushy beard standing in front of it. He asks if I needed a ride to town. Part of me was thinking, this is a bad idea (I've had some really bad experiences in big cities with cabs), the other part was thinking what could go wrong, this is a small town. So I hopped in. He introduced himself as Woody and started to tell me about the weather in Whitehorse. "Nine months of winter and three months of poor sledding". Let's just say he was a true Northern character.

Thrusday I actually had to do work, but Friday I got to go canoeing on the Yukon River. I fell in love. It was so beautiful. Below are some of the pictures. We saw some bald eagle, golden eagles and falcons. I'm already saving for an expediation canoe trip.




Over on the left is one of the bald eagles I saw.










No comments: