Sunday, June 1, 2008

How to Raise Useful Children

I just got back from yet another fun/frustrating weekend at Girl Guide camp. The fun stuff will be to follow after I get the pictures worked out. The frustrating part has resulted in me wanting to shake some parents. Since I'm clearly a perfect parent with perfect children, (ie I have none) I have compiled 8 tips for raising useful children based on my numerous experiences at camp.
  1. When you a struggling with something around the house or yard, ask your child for help. This will prevent your child from standing around with looks of mild interest as their friend or leader tries to figure out how to hoist and secure an archery net with no pulleys.
  2. Have your child help fold towels and sheets. This will help your child understand and act on instructions such as fold in half lengthwise the fly and make sure that there are no winkles.
  3. When you ask a direct question to your child, expect an answer. This will assist your child in providing answers to questions such as "Is this your water bottle?"
  4. When your child spends the night or travels anywhere including family trips, have them pack their own bags. By the time they are 8yrs old, they should be able to follow a list, fold and make fit all their own stuff with minimal supervisor. This will prevent, "but my mum didn't pack my rain gear" and "I don't know how my mum got it to fit" in a whining voice from being said.
  5. When you travel with your child have them carry their own bags and help with the general family bags. This will prevent the "its not my bag" attitude.
  6. When you ask your child to do something and they respond with "do I have to?" in a whining voice, your response should be the mum death stare. If you do not have a mum death stare, get one. This will reduce the number of "do I have to's?" that adults, who do not think your child is nearly as wonderful as you do, have to hear. Thereby increasing the chance that said adults will think your child is wonderful.
  7. Go on regular dates with your spouse, leaving your child with a babysitter that is not a relative. This will help your child to be independent of you.
  8. Every few years, go on an overnight with your spouse without the children. Be unavailable to phone calls. This will further develop your child's independence.

2 comments:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Thanks for the mum tips!! You are more of a pro than you think! They were spot on! However actually doing it is another thing!--I almost have an 8 year old (next summer)

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

You crack me up.